BOOK REVIEW: 50 Shades of Grey by E. L. James

photo not mine
Eric wasn't joking. The story was R18. Erotic scenes between Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele were painstakingly detailed and it would - no doubt - totally sidetrack you from the main story. One who has been exposed to smut genres surely would not help but grin as s/he reads this book - in private or in public. But while I sound so much into all these 'perverse' thoughts, I have to say that setting aside all its artistic sexuality, the first book from E. L. James was a good read. 

I won't be spilling anything but as I owe my Ate Jorlette a review of this book, I am apologizing in advance if I would unconsciously do. But if ever I did, I hope it would just make you more curious and motivate you eventually to read it.

Okay, so here it goes...

Frankly speaking, the general plot line was common to me. Having been exposed to several Rated M fan-fictions (and as I am writing one), a sexual relationship between a multi-billionaire and an ordinary young woman is a very usual ordeal. However, it has brought upon a tinge of distinction to my playful mind. 

Indeed, the concept of BSDM relationships is something new to me. Sure, I have heard about the top/bottom thingy, but I never took it seriously because most times I come across it, it's an inside joke within my KPOP fandoms; or it comes from a very personal conversation between me and my homosexual friends.

So yeah, Fifty Shades of Grey was generally old yet unfamiliar to me - which thoroughly makes it exciting. I particularly enjoyed it (as I've noted earlier). Kindly set aside the thought that I am for the sexual parts though because while I should admit that I found it a little fascinating, I was more inclined with the attempt of the author to add wit to the story. The e-mail exchanges between the two protagonists were really something to look forward to; and as you read, never forget to take notice of the email subjects. These little things play a great role to the comic, I swear.

Putting it simply, I find myself attached to the book. Once again, it's not because of its general nature (I am desperately being defensive, obviously) but because for the first chapters, I have seen myself in Anastasia Steele. Like her, people think that I am something while here I am, mocking myself for being a nobody. Most importantly, I am in love with a man who is very much out of my league.

But then, of course, the comparison ends there.

Basically, 50 Shades of Grey opened up a portal which exposed me to a bigger reality about sex, relationships, and the people who do it. If there is one thing that I have managed to pick up from the story, it's about having the determination to make things work if you want to stay in a relationship. Partners must adjust to each other, and compromise is the key. 

And oh, I learned that baby oil is the best make-up remover. It will surely save me money.

The book is a first of a trilogy. I am currently reading the second book and there is an external conflict now. Things are getting interesting; but in a way, it's becoming more and more predictable. But there are questions yet to be answered, so I'm sticking with it.

As for the characters... You see, I need to have a mental image of the characters in the story so I could appreciate it more. While I am honestly having a hard time imagining how Anastasia Steele looks like, I couldn't fathom why Christian Grey came off easy. And no, it's not Ian Somerhalder. In my imaginations, it's James Lee, the hot and lovely bassist of a Korean band called Royal Pirates. 

AND I SWEAR I HAVE NO IDEA WHY HE'S THE FIRST PERSON TO INVADE MY THOUGHTS. BUT PERHAPS JAMES WOULD LIKE TO AUDITION FOR THE ROLE? He grew up in the States, anyway, and all you judgmental people, he can speak English better than anyone else I know. *winks*

So okay. I don't think this came off as a decent review; but I wish this somehow intrigued you to read the book. It wouldn't topple Harry Potter on my list, of course. But I sure prefer this over the saga which practically inspired this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment